CORE Board Meeting Minutes - February 12, 2018

CORE Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 12, 2018

In Attendance: Clare Cassan, Marshall Corbett, George Curran, Barry Ebl, Chris Haynes, Doug Manning, Chris Ward, Darek Worrall

The meeting started at 7:03 PM.

1. Financial Update - CORE remains cash positive for 2018, with $27,621 in the regular account and $6,132 in the Gaming Fund. These funds will all be used over the next 8 months of programs.

2. Membership Update - Exactly 50 local rugby enthusiasts have submitted their 2018 CORE membership fees. Over the next 6 weeks, a membership drive is projected to take that number over 100 paying members.

3. Five-Minute Updates

Mini-Rugby (George) - The pitches are booked for a 7-week mini-rugby program that begins on April 22. The City has increased fees to match the costs of other youth programs. The good news is that it allows us to hire six coaches for the program. The program limit is 150 4 - 7 year old athletes, so parents are encouraged to register early. Registration will begin in late March.
TO DO: Chris H. and Marshall will help George to identify the six mini coaches for 2018.

Youth Touch (Derek) - Three touch sevens programs will run on Sundays in 2018 for boys and girls in grades 2 - 4, grades 5 - 6, and grades 7 - 9. Derek will distribute brochures through schools in the next month. The 7-week programs begin April 22. The elementary touch league is expected to run in 12 - 16 schools in 2018, continuing with the strong participation in that program.

Youth XVs and Sevens (Marshall) - Junior rugby is CORE's primary focus for the next couple of years and schools are committing to XVs with better numbers than in 2017. Three Central Okanagan junior rugby programs will run in 2018 at Kelowna Secondary, Mount Boucherie, and Rutland Senior. They will participate in a Valley-wide junior league. OKM and George Elliot have not committed yet to junior programs. Aberdeen, Kelowna Christian, Mount Boucherie, and Rutland Senior are expected to operate secondary school sevens programs in 2018.

TORA is planning to enter a team or two in the BC Rugby U14 league - details still being worked out. The PRC U14 Girls team is in need of a coach - 42 players have indicated an interest in assembling a TORA team. No coach! Board members were encouraged to find candidates. A coaching course scheduled for February 23 and 24 has only 5 registered participants.
TO DO: Doug will gather junior and senior coaches together sometime in the next month to plan spring programs.
TO DO: Board members will contact Derek with any U14 Coach nominees they may discover.
TO DO: Marshall and Derek will encourage new coaches in their programs to attend the coaching session.

CORD Academy (Barry) - The academy is having its strongest year ever, with 35 athletes registered for this off-season rugby development program. Teams from the academy recently enjoyed playing in the Salmon Arm Snow Sevens.

University Rugby (Chris H.) - There are concerns that UBCO will reduce funding to rugby, due to pressures for more investment in other Heat teams. Heat Rugby involves more athletes than any other UBCO sport. They have been told to recruit players for the fall season, with the amount of funding support remaining uncertain. The Rugby Heat programs are planning a Junior Heat development camp for this summer. Chris is still working on the dates.
TO DO: Chris H. will finalize the details for the Junior Heat rugby camp and report back next meeting.

Adult Touch (Doug) - An 8-week league will run again in the summer of 2018, beginning on June 25. Fields are booked. It is anticipated that 12 - 16 teams will register for the Competitive and Recreational leagues. It is hoped that three to four new Rec teams will join the league.
TO DO: Doug will approach local rugby enthusiasts to find 3 - 4 new team leaders in the two months.

Adult XVs (Barry) - The Crows will host the Ensign Cup on May 12 this year. Plans are to expand the event to include rugby matches for all ages. The Crows also have a series of social fund-raisers in the next couple of months, including a St. Patrick's Day celebration.

O40 XVs (Clare) - The Vicars have home games on April 15 vs Abbotsford and on May 13 against the Twilighters.

Referees (Chris W.) - There are four Okanagan rugby referees registered with BC Rugby. More will be needed in order to deliver the volume of games this spring. Teams are finally paying their game fees - one reason ORRS are losing referees is because teams never pay them. ORRS are working on a referee workshop to be offered this spring - no details yet.

4. Okanagan Rugby Union - Doug presented a concept for an expanded Okanagan Rugby Union to support CORE's new focus on U14 - U20 players and its intent to develop an infrastructure for men's and women's Premier sides sometime in the future. The Board made a few additions to the proposal and authorized Doug to present the idea to Okanagan rugby clubs.
TO DO: Doug will contact representatives from Kelowna, Penticton, Salmon Arm, and Vernon rugby clubs and report back to the Board at the next Board meeting.

5. U16 Western Canadas/Center of Gravity Sevens - BC Rugby and CORE will host the U16 Western Canada Rugby Championships on July 26 - 29. Ten boys and girls teams are expected to participate. An opportunity may emerge where CORE will run an adult sevens tournament on the same weekend at the Center of Gravity event. BC Rugby is in preliminary discussions with COG and would work with CORE to deliver that event if it were to happen.
TO DO: Doug will work with BC Rugby to assemble an organizing committee for the event or events.
TO DO: Doug will examine the possibility of an adult touch rugby competition involving the parents of the U16 players.

6. Potential CORE Donation - CORE has been approached by a local business person who would donate shares in a publicly traded company to support the financing of an adult elite men's and women's sevens teams from the Okanagan. A local lawyer is helping CORE to receive the shares in the proper manner. This is an exciting opportunity for local rugby athletes.
TO DO: Doug will report back to the Board re this issue at our next Board meeting.

The meeting ended at 8:30 PM.

Next Meeting: Monday, April 9 @ 7 PM.

2018 Projected to Break Records in Local Rugby
Rugby Centre 2017 Update


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Friday, 04 December 2020

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to