Vicars Start Strong in 2019

After a long winter break, the Vicars travelled to Burnaby to take on the Twits.  It had been quite some time since most players had worn the boots anywhere near a pitch.  The Vicars were looking for a better showing than their last game against their hosts.
The game kicked of with Kelowna fielding 18 travellers and the home side choosing from at least two-teams-worth of players.   It was a great day for rugby, cool and overcast with only a few raindrops here and there. 
The Vicars shook off their travel weary legs and started with a bang.  The Twits were on their heels early as the Vicars pressed the attack, and with strong running from Randy and Jamie the visitors were soon up two tries to none.  The scrums and lineouts were well contested with both teams securing their ball and stealing a few as well.
As is usual with Old Boys rugby, the defence was furious.  The skilled play - not so much. Dropped balls and missed kicks by both sides opened up the game and led to the surging Twits scoring a chased ball in the corner.   The Twits had the Vicars on their heels while Cash, Adam, and the rest of the Vicar backs tacked fiercely.  No Twits would break their line again in that first quarter of play.
The second quarter was more even, with the Twits on their toes but matched by the Vicars at every turn.   Strong pack work off a won lineout led to Captain Blair and Adam combining for another score for the visitors.  Halftime score: 3 - 1  Vicars.
The third quarter started with both teams putting all on the line.   With excellent phase play the Twits drove to the Vicars line and a blocked kick in the end zone led to a 5-meter Burnaby scrum.  The men in blue secured their own ball and pushed over the line for a try.   The Vicars responded with energy.   Good back field passing left Randy with all the room he needed to put the Vicars back up by two.  
The fourth quarter was a battle.  The Twits were not keen to lose..  The Vicars were to play defence for the rest of the game.   Three minutes into the last quarter, Burnaby was rewarded with their third try.   After a stretch of excellent phase play and ball retention by Burnaby, too many Vicars found themselves stuck in a ruck.  Big overlap for the Twits and now it was a one-point match.  
In the end it was Cash who closed out the day.  He stepped through a Burnaby ruck, stole the ball, fed it back to Mike, who found touch to end the game.  Final score 4 - 3 Vicars for a hard fought win in their first match of the 2019 season.
The hosting was a friendly affair with players from both sides getting together over a pint to discuss the game.   Man of the Match was Captain Blair Williams for the Vicars and Geddes (sorry to the fellow for most likely getting his name wrong) for the Twilighters.  The bus ride home was a fun affair.  It is always better to ride home winners!!
CORE Membership Drive Passes Half-Way Point
Rugby Referees in Crisis in Central Okanagan


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Friday, 04 December 2020

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to